Sunday, January 29, 2017

Dancing from Three to Free

Hi my name is Rachel. I love to dance. When I was three years old I took my first dance class, and fell in love with the movement. I began taking Ballet and Tap dancing classes. At my first dance recital I was dancing in the wrong direction compared to the rest of my peers, but I was smiling. I have come a long way in twenty years of dancing. In high school, I became a captain for a dance competition called Sportsnite. My Gold team won all four years that I was on the team. In college, I was fortunate enough to continue my dancing career on the Cortland Dance Company. My favorite styles of dance are Jazz and Hip Hop. On the Cortland Dance Company, I challenged myself and took new styles of dance such as, Lyrical, Modern, and Broadway dancing. Dance is a way to express myself when words fail me. On the Cortland Dance Company, I was one of the few girls who always smiled without being told. This is because dance gives me a feeling of happiness, and I love to get into an upbeat or energetic song. Sadly, in April 2016 I had my final performance on the Cortland Dance Company during my senior solo performance. I love to perform on stage. The feeling of Adrenaline I get before showing my hard work for everyone to see is very exciting. The support of my friends and family cheering my name made all my long hours of practicing all worth it. Looking back, starting to dance at three years old makes me happy to be free in the adult world, and still be able to express myself through dance.



Vocabulary

recital- (noun) a show where people do something in front of a    large group of people

peers- (noun) students or people the same age as you

captain- (noun) a leader of a team

competition- (noun) a contest where people try to win against other people

fortunate- (adjective) lucky

challenged- (verb) to push yourself to do something you would not normally do

express- (verb) to show using movement

Adrenaline- (noun) something released in the brain when you are nervous or stressed that causes your heart to beat faster and you to breathe heavier

Vocabulary Exercise
  1. I go to school with my _____________.
  2. The football __________ got the team excited for the game.
  3. The music class plays in a ____________ at the end of the year in front of families and friends.
  4. The boy likes to _____________ himself by drawing happy faces to show he is in a good mood.
  5. The teacher________ her students by giving them difficult math homework to see how they would do if they tried it.
  6. The children had a ____________ to see who could run the fastest.
  7. Before a big test the students got a rush of ___________ because they were nervous.
  8. The class was _________ to have a class pet.

Grammar Point

 Noun: a word that is a person, place, or thing

Grammar Exercise

Make a list of all the nouns you can find in my paragraph. Write three sentences with three or more of your favorite nouns from my paragraph. 






















2 comments:

  1. A great entry! You have all the important parts, and you wrote a wonderful paragraph. I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a dancer and I was also fortunate enough to continue in college! I can relate to your love for dancing!

    ReplyDelete