Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Beach

My favorite place in the world is the beach.  Since I was a baby the calm sound of the ocean waves has relaxed me. All over the world there are beaches. When I am given the opportunity to visit these places I am ecstatic. I have visited beaches in New York, Florida, the Bahamas, Italy, Costa Rica, and Israel. I am lucky enough to live in the town Wantagh where Jones Beach is about a seven minute car ride away. My favorite time of day is when the sun starts to set. It does not matter the weather, I love to see the sunset at the beach even in the winter.  The sight of watching the sun slip away near the ocean is breathtaking. The sky changes colors every time the sun sets. I love when the sky looks pink because of the sun and clouds near the ocean. Working near Long Beach on Long Island is the best because I occasionally get to end my day with a peaceful sunset. I often dream about visiting new beaches around the world. Everyone should take time out of their busy week to visit a spectacular beach!


Sunset at Jones Beach, New York (November 2016)

Sunset at Playa Manuel Antonia, Costa Rica (January (2016)




Vocabulary

Relaxed (v) – to feel rested
Ecstatic (adj) – to feel very happy
Breathtaking (adj) - very beautiful, or exciting to look at
Occasionally (adv) - to do something from time to time,  or sometimes
Peaceful (adj) - soothing and quiet, no violence
Spectacular (adj) - catches your eye, very pretty

Vocabulary Exercise 

1.       I felt______________ during the vacation.
2.       The fireworks were a __________________ presentation.
3.       The boy was ____________ to see made the basketball team.
4.       The girl rides her bike ______________ after school.
5.       The flowers were _______________ to look at.
6.       It is very _______________ when no one is taking.

Grammar Point

Proper noun: a name of a person, place, or thing that start with a capitol letter. For example, Rachel, New York, and the Yankees, are all proper nouns.

Grammar Activity

Make a list of how many proper nouns you can find in my paragraph, then list 7 of your own proper nouns.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! The beach is also one of my favorite places. I am so relaxed when I go to the beach. I love going to the beach when the sun is setting or during the day when I can catch a tan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alyssa that the beach is one of my favorite places. But I don't like to get a tan anymore, just maybe a hint of it. I like the activities. Good work!

    ReplyDelete