Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Italy

Last summer, I went to the amazing country Italy with my mom. We went on a two week tour that took us to the most important places in Italy. First we went to Rome, we saw the Trevi Fountain, and I made a wish by throwing a coin into the water. We went to incredible museums. The best part was going to see the original Colosseum, where many people in Ancient Rome went to the amphitheater for entertainment. Next, we went to Florence, where we saw the famous David sculpture, and we went on a tour of the famous writer, Machiavelli's home. The food was phenomenal! In Italy, there are much smaller portions than in American, and many different courses that come out at restaurants. After that, we went to Venice. It was an amazing view staying over in a hotel on top of the floating city (Venice's nickname). I road a Gondola, and went to a famous glass factory. Then, we went to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower Of Pisa. To end the tour we went to my absolute favorite parts of southern Italy, Sorrento, Capri, and Positano. I went to an authentic Italian farm where the family grew their own lemons and tomatoes and made every dish they ever ate right from their farm. I was able to make my own fresh pizza using their homemade mozzarella cheese. We took a steep right up the Amalfi Coast. The beaches in southern Italy were amazing. This was the trip of a lifetime, and I cannot wait to travel more of the world.


Vocabulary

original (adj)- not a copy, the first one made
amphitheater (n)- a large oval building with no roof, and lots of seat, where entertaining events take place
portions (n)- how big a meal is
courses (n)- sets of dishes that come out at different times with different types of meals
Gondola (n)- a narrow boat typically found in Venice
authentic (adj)- real, from a different country

Vocabulary Exercise

1. The ____________ book was better than the last book.
2. The people went to a concert at the ______________.
3. _____________ food tastes better when you are in a different country.
4.  The meal has four _____________.
5. The ______________ of food on that plate is too much for me to eat.
6.  My favorite thing to ride in Venice was the _____________.

Grammar Point

Past tense: When you are talking about something you did in the past, the verb changes to the past tense.
Example- I went to Italy. I ate food. I had great experiences.

Grammar Exercise

Write a story about your favorite place you have been to using the past tense.





2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    The pictures you included in this post are so beautiful! You looked like you had an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip with your mom sounds amazing. I love the photos of you in Pisa and on the gondola. What fun!

    ReplyDelete